The present church of St John the Baptist is built mainly of stone with some flint and cobble, while some parts have been rebuilt with brick. It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle and west tower. The earliest existing fabric, the south aisle, the aisle arcade and the tower arch are of 13th century origin, although a Norman font survives from an earlier building. The present tower was built in the 15th century and is of three stages, topped by an embattled parapet. The church was restored around 1680 and again in 1719.
Nearby lies the site of Carnaby airfield (now the industrial estate), a Royal Air Force emergency landing strip that offered crippled bombers a safe place to land near the English coast during the Second World War.
Please do join us to worship God in this beautiful church. Our pattern of services varies according to the Sunday of the month, as follows:
Second Sunday: Holy Communion at 9.45 am (modern language and family-friendly)
Fourth Sunday - United Benefice service in one of the eight churches - please phone or email for details
On Wednesdays at 10.00 am and every Sunday at 11.00 there is a Zoom service too. Please phone or email to get the Zoom link.